Tuesday, August 30, 2011

I hope all those that were in the path of Irene came out of it with little to no damage. We here in Nova Scotia escaped the worst of it, but we know how devastating such a storm can be. So here's to all of you who were affected by the storm.

So I go from the very serious impact of Irene to something that impacted me a few weeks ago. Not so much to do with writing, but it has a direct correlation to creative rights. In a world that has become so concerned with representing the minority, there are times when we may take it one step too far. And I think that step was when certain groups cried out for the immortal and lovable Bert and Ernie to get married.

I'm not trying to spout my ignorance on gay rights, I applaud the gay marriage laws and I certainly believe in the right to freedom of expression, but to make these two characters of Sesame Street fame marry, was troubling. I remember being a kid and watching ole Bert and Ernie sharing the same bedroom but occupying separate beds and I still remember thinking that they were brothers. And that's all they ever were to me and probably to many of you. Just two brothers who taught us how to spell, count and catch fish simply by saying "heeeereeee fishy, fishy, fishy".

Our adult world, ideals and misunderstandings of the simple ideas of a child have drifted a long way from us. It began with some adults wanting to change the name of the show to Sesame Park because they felt the term street was encouraging our kids to play in the street. Then they made cookie monster say that his namesake was only a sometimes treat. Why can't we leave some of these things untouched, remove our adult hands from dirtying up the simplicity of it all.

So I commend the creators and the writers of the show to stick to their guns and not have Bert and Ernie marry. Let cookie monster eat his cookies all day and to all of us that grew up with Grover, the Count, Oscar, Big Bird and the whole crew, may it always remain Sesame Street!

GH

No comments: